As Governor, Angel Taveras will address the lack of attention that has been paid to senior issues and expand services that enable our seniors to remain independent and age in their communities.
Mayor Taveras understands that making sure Rhode Island seniors get the respect and support they deserve begins with having someone who is ready to stand up and fight for them. As Mayor of Providence, his Office of Senior Services assists seniors throughout the city with everything from tax questions, to transportation, to connecting them with vital support services. As Governor, Angel will address funding shortages that have resulted in long waiting lists for support services and ensure there is a passionate advocate at the helm of the Division of Elderly Affairs.
As Governor, Angel will:
- Create a comprehensive plan for our state’s aging population by bringing together seniors, advocates, care providers and others to develop a 20-year plan that can begin being implemented his first term.
- Expand home and community based services to focus more on home care, allowing seniors to age in the community.
- Make expanded home and community based services possible by fully funding community based care programs such as Meals on Wheels and senior centers.
- Commit to a 4-year nursing home funding increase for Medicaid reimbursement rates to ensure quality of care for those seniors not able to remain in their homes.
- Increase funding for senior transit to help ensure safe, reliable transportation for seniors.
- Waive Voter ID requirements for those 65 years of age and above.
- Require national background checks on anyone providing direct care to seniors.